The Federal Government has announced its readiness to commence the payment of nine-month backlogs to N-Power beneficiaries who are on the programme beginning in November.
It announced this on Monday through the N-Power National Programme Manager, Akindele Egbuwalo, who disclosed this during a meeting with some N-Power beneficiaries at his office in Abuja.
Egbuwalo in a statement issued by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, stated that the main purpose for the temporary suspension of the programme was to address all matters directly affecting beneficiaries.
He was quoted in the statement to have stated that as a result of the temporary suspension of the programme for thorough restructuring and forensic audit, funds had been recovered from the existing payment service providers.
“Plans have been put in place by the programme to commence disbursement of the nine months outstanding stipends to beneficiaries from November 2023. Payments will be carried out in installment,” Egbuwalo stated.
He said the N-Power programme would be continued as the Renewed Hope Job Creation Programme under the supervision of the humanitarian minister.
Egbuwalo said the scheme would be expanded to target five million beneficiaries in five years, where one million youths would be absorbed each year under the graduate and non-graduate streams.
Sani Garba, a beneficiary from Yobe State, who was present at the meeting, said the concerns of beneficiaries were mainly regarding the delayed nine months stipends.
He said a national protest had initially been planned by different clusters of N-Power beneficiaries due to inadequate information.
“Sir, as you have clearly explained the current situation of payment to us, myself and other cluster of beneficiaries represented here are assuring you that we have understood your position and taken your assurances, there is no need for any protest,” he stated.