A 15-year-old student has opened fire at his Michigan high school, killing three students and wounding eight other people, including a teacher, authorities say.
Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said he did not know what the assailant’s motives were for Tuesday’s attack at Oxford High School in Oxford Township, a community 50 kilometres north of Detroit.
Officers responded in the early afternoon (local time) to a flood of emergency calls about an active shooter at the school, Mr McCabe said.
Authorities arrested the suspect at the school and recovered a semi-automatic handgun and several clips.
“Deputies confronted him, he had the weapon on him, they took him into custody,” Mr McCabe said, adding the suspect was not hurt when he was taken into custody and he refused to say how he got the gun into the school.
Authorities did not immediately release the names of the suspect or victims.
They said later the dead were a 16-year-old boy and two girls, ages 14 and 17. Two of the eight people in hospital were undergoing surgery.
Tim Throne, the superintendent of Oxford Community Schools, said he did not know yet know the victims’ names or whether their families had been contacted.
“I’m shocked. It’s devastating,” the shaken superintendent said.
The school was placed on lockdown after the attack, with some children sheltering in locked classrooms while officers searched the premises.
They were later taken to a nearby Meijer grocery store to be picked up by their parents.
Isabel Flores told WJBK-TV that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from the face.
Mr McCabe said investigators would look through social media posts for any evidence of a possible motive.
Source: ( NewDaily)