Connect with us

News

Antony Blinken Says ‘I Don’t Know’ Who U.S. Killed in Kabul Drone Strike

Published

on

During a September 14 Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing to examine the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, Secretary of State Antony Blinken testified that he didn't know whether a recent drone strike killed a civilian or a suspected terrorist. U.S. military officials said the strike had killed several suicide bombers.
Share

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, “I don’t know,” when asked on Tuesday whether a recent U.S. drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan killed suspected terrorists or a civilian Afghan aid worker and his family.

Blinken made his comment during a Tuesday Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. Republican Kentucky Senator Rand Paul asked Blinken about reports concerning an August 29 military drone strike.

“The guy the Biden administration droned, was he an aid worker or an ISIS-K operative?” Paul asked Blinken.

Blinken replied, “The administration is, of course, reviewing that strike. I’m sure that a full assessment will be forthcoming.”

Paul then asked, “So you don’t know if it was an aid worker or an ISIS-K operative?”

Blinken said, “I can’t speak to that and I can’t speak to that in this setting in any event.”

Paul asked, “So you don’t know or won’t tell us?”

Blinken responded, “I don’t know because we’re reviewing it.”

U.S. military officials said the strike had killed several suicide bombers who had planned on attacking Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul. Officials said the drone strike also killed three civilians.

Drone surveillance on the day of the strike showed that the strike’s targets had stopped by an ISIS safe house and loaded explosives into their car, U.S. officials said. The U.S. drone missile strike set off a second wave of explosions after hitting the target’s car, suggesting that the vehicle contained explosives, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark A. Milley, said last week.

However, the now-deceased target of the attack was Zemari Ahmadi, a 43-year-old electrical engineer for Nutrition and Education International, a California-based group doing work in Afghanistan, The New York Times reported.

Ahmadi’s associates and family members told the publication that he and his car’s passengers on the day of the strike had no ISIS ties. They added that he had applied for refugee status in the U.S. and that he had put water containers—not explosives—into his car earlier in the day.

Ahmadi’s relatives said the drone strike killed 10 members of their family, including seven children, the Times reported. The drone’s missile hit their home’s front gate. Experts from the publication examined their home the morning after the strike and four days later and found no evidence of a second explosion, contradicting the U.S. military‘s claim about explosives in the car.

At the time of the strike, the U.S. military was actively monitoring terrorist threats in response to ISIS-K agents attacking the airport. The airport became a crowded departure point as the U.S. rushed its efforts to evacuate U.S. civilians, service members and Afghan allies by the United States’ agreed-upon August 30 deadline.

Source: (Newsweek)


Share
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Shocker! Kidnappers detain pregnant woman till child birth, keep new baby, set mother free

Published

on

By

Share

A pregnant woman, has allegedly been set free and her baby taking away by kidnappers, after detaining her till the birth of her child, introducing a shocking but gory dimension to what has now become a sort of epidemic in parts of Africa.

Reports coming from Ghana, said the woman, who was identified as Josephine Panyin Mensah, was seized and taken away from her home in Takoradi, when her pregnancy was already due at nine months, but that her abductors only allowed her to go, after she gave birth and her baby taken away.

According to the source, the kidnappers who were interested in the unborn baby bolted with the baby after she had been delivered, adding that family sources indicated that the distraught woman is currently receiving treatment at the Effiankwanta Teaching Hospital.

The victim, was said to have gone missing on Thursday, September 16, after she went for a dawn walk in Takoradi, and that the police immediately swung into action leading a search party for her after a report was made to the by her husband, Michael Simmons.


Share
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Breaking: Davido’s photographer dies

Published

on

By

Share

Davido’s official photographer Fortunate Umunname Peter aka Fortune is dead.

He died three months after the hit maker’s close friend and associate, Habeeb Ademola Uthman aka as Obama DMW passed on.

Davido had also lost his bodyguard of six years, Ogbeide Tijani Olamilekan (Teejay) in 2020.

In 2017, Davido lost two friends and team members, Tagbo and DJ Olu.

Fortune was born and bred in Bariga, Lagos but hailed from Owerri.

He has been working with Davido since 2019.

He was born on July 10, 1997 and started off as a graphics designer before he moved to photography after his aunt, Dr. Harriet, got him his first camera which forced him to move back to Lagos from Owerri.

The exceptional photographer has made portfolios for Davido, Pogba, Popcaan, Lilbaby, Cassanova, Mayorkun, Wizkid, Jidenna, Tiwa Savage, Burna boy, Patoranking, Akon, DMW and many others.

His last Instagram post was on July 10 where he made a birthday post with a caption “Rolling stone +1”


Share
Continue Reading

News

Breaking: Ex-Kwara gov, Jega, Utomi, Duke, others form third Force ahead 2023 elections

Published

on

By

Share

Ahead of the 2023 general elections, prominent Nigerians have established a third force, Rescue Nigeria Project (RNP), to give Nigerians alternative platform to the All Progressives Congress, APC and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Founders of RNP include former governor of Kwara state, Ahmed Abdulfatai, Prof. Pat Utomi, Prof. Tunde Adeniran, former Governor of Cross River state, Donald Duke,

Senator Lee Maeba, Usman Bugaje, Prof. Attahiru Jega, Amb. Nkoyo Toyo, Yomi Awoniyi, Dr. Rose Idi Danladi, Dr. Sadiq Gombe among others.

Delivering his keynote address, Abdulfatai lamented the state of the nation, noting that the high level of nepotism and lack of inclusiveness have given rise to agitations by different ethnic groups.

He recalled that in 2015, Nigerians embraced change, adding that today, “that change appears to be what we didn’t expect, as insecurity has taken over the nation.”

He said, “It is based on this that we decided to set up this Rescue Nigeria Project. We want to salvage this country and see how we can fix the mess. We want to set a template and key criteria leaders must have before they can attain any political position.

“Despite the great opportunities of the past, Nigeria has failed to live up to the dreams of its founding fathers and the hopes of successive generations of its citizens.

“Perhaps, at no other time have these failings become more apparent than in the past decade or so.

“In 2015, Nigerians overwhelmingly embraced the promise of change. These hopes have not only been dashed, but they have arguably turned out to be the worst political statements ever to be made in this country. Nigeria today appears set to fulfill all the prophesies of doom.”

He further noted that “Unprecedented nepotism and political exclusion have left the country more divided than ever as evident in the various separatists agitation that are threatening the corporate existence of the country itself.”

Also speaking, Adeniran noted that there is disaster at hand, hence the move to rescue the nation.

He said: “You only rescue when there is disaster and when you fail to rescue during disaster, it is more dangerous.

“We have a disaster in our hands and we need to rescue the country. We need to look back and see how we get here. We know where Nigeria was before now. We know the task is not going to be easy, but we have to determine how to rescue the nation.”

In his opening remarks, the RNP national coordinator, Usman Bugaje, explained that the Rescue Nigeria Project was founded on the premise that the challenges bedeviling the country were largely derived from poor leadership.


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending