Connect with us

News

Taliban declares Amnesty, urges women to join government.

Published

on

Share

The Taliban has declared an “amnesty” across Afghanistan and urged women to join the government following a day of chaos that saw citizens descend on the airport en masse in a bid to flee their rule.

Enamullah Samangani, a member of the Taliban’s cultural commission, said: “The Islamic Emirate doesn’t want women to be victims.

“They should be in government structure according to Shariah law.”

He added: “The structure of government is not fully clear, but based on experience, there should be a fully Islamic leadership and all sides should join.”

However, the international community remains sceptical about these promises of modernisation, with the UN secretary-general expressing particular concern about the future of women and girls in the country.

When they last ruled Afghanistan, from 1996 to 2001, women were forbidden from working and had to cover their faces and be accompanied by a male relative if they wanted to leave their homes.

Girls could not go to school. Stonings, amputations and public executions were widely used as punishment.

Rupert Colville, a spokesman for the United Nations’ high commissioner for human rights, noted both the Taliban’s vows and the fear of those now under their rule.

It is believed more than 600 people were crammed onto the aircraft Pic: Defense One
Image:It is believed more than 600 people were crammed onto the aircraft Pic: Defense One

“Such promises will need to be honoured, and for the time being – again understandably, given past history – these declarations have been greeted with some scepticism,” he said.

After taking women broadcasters off the air for a number of days, a female television anchor on the private broadcaster Tolo interviewed a Taliban official on camera Tuesday in a studio.

The details of the government’s structure remain vague, as senior leader Amir Khan Muttaqi is said to be in Afghanistan’s capital negotiating with Kabul’s political leadership.

On Monday, thousands of Afghans rushed into Kabul airport, with some so desperate to escape the Taliban they held on to a military jet as it took off and plunged to their deaths.

At least seven people died, US officials have said.

The fear felt was vividly captured in a photograph taken from inside a US military flight out of Kabul, which was carrying some 640 Afghans – reportedly more than five times its suggested payload.

Forces have now secured the airport with Stefano Pontecorvo, Nato’s senior civilian representative to Afghanistan, posting a video online showing an empty runway with American troops on the tarmac.

US President Joe Biden remained resolute about his decision to withdraw US troops, a decision he said he stood “squarely behind” as he acknowledged the “gut-wrenching” images unfolding in Kabul.

Mr Biden said he faced a choice between honouring a previously negotiated withdrawal agreement or sending thousands more troops back to begin a third decade of war.

Must Credit MoD. ** Some blurring of faces has been applied to protect identities ** Image of British citizens and dual nationals residing in Afghanistan being relocated to the U.K. As part of Operation PITTING, the UK Armed Forces are enabling the relocation of personnel and others from Afghanistan. On Sunday 16th August the first flight of evacuated personnel arrived at RAF Brize Norton in the UK. The flight constituted of British Embassy staff and British Nationals. British forces from 16 Air
Repatriation flights have begun arriving back in the UK. Pic: Ministry of Defense

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab has admitted the UK would never “ordinarily” engage with the Taliban as they “don’t share our standards of human rights”.

But with the takeover of Afghanistan, he says leaders will have to be “pragmatic” and continue to engage with the group through third parties.

Source:(News Now)


Share
Advertisement

Africa

NSCDC dismisses viral video on ‘bandit personnel’

Published

on

By

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a viral video purporting that a member of the corps confessed to being a bandit.

The suspected bandit, Mr Abdullah Saidu, in the viral video called himself personnel of the Corps.

This is contained in a statement issued by the NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr Olusola Odumosu, in Abuja.

Newsmen report that Saidu was arrested in connection to a group of armed bandits terrorising some parts of Koton Karfe Local Government Area of Kogi.

The spokesperson said that the NSCDC has set up a team to investigate the available records to confirm the authenticity of Saidu’s claims that he was the corps personnel.

“The general public shall be adequately briefed on subsequent findings.“Based on the aforementioned, the purported video where the alleged suspect openly confessed to the crime did not in any way give credence to or affirm his membership to the Corps.

“Experience has shown that criminals are fond of impersonating security operatives in order to divert attention, subvert investigation or get away with the crime,” he said.

Odumosu further noted that the NSCDC was saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property amongst others.

“The Corps will not in any way condone any saboteur of national security or sponsorship of criminals.”He reiterated the Corps’ zeal to discharge its statutory mandates without compromise but with humility and integrity.

He said the NSCDC will continue to synergise with sister agencies to combat crimes in the country.

Source: (NAN)


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

Federal government to incorporate NNPC board in six months

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday he had appointed a board for the NNPC and directed that it should be incorporated within six months, a move that could allow it to sell shares in the future.

The President signed the petroleum bill into law last month which has been in the works for nearly two decades, aiming to overhaul the sector and turn the state-owned oil company into a private firm.

The new oil law requires NNPC to be incorporated within six months, Buhari said in a statement, appointing Ifeanyi Ararume as NNPC chairman and its current Chief Executive Mele Kyari to lead the firm.

Kyari has said NNPC could consider an initial public offering (IPO) within three years. The incorporation could pave the way for NNPC to sell shares.

Buhari said last month that NNPC made its first profit in 44 years in 2020.

Source:(Global World News)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Niger state becoming safe haven for fleeing Zamfara bandits

Published

on

Share

Shiroro Local Government in Niger State has cried foul over the influx of bandits and terrorists fleeing Zamfara state.

The bandits/terrorists are identified by their masks and motorcycles, and their presence is causing fear and apprehension among the locals, spokesman of the local government, Salis M. Sabo disclosed in a statement.

Sabo said the bandits are believed to have flown from “Zamfara or other adjoining troubled states which the Niger State borders through Shiroro.

“The marauders have started showing their ugly faces in Galadiman Kogo, Zama, Magami, Maganda m, Paleli, Iburo, Chukuba, Dnasapa all in Shiroro Local Government.

“The military operation going on in Zamfara needs to be well coordinated and replicated in other States on Zamfara borders so as to save the vulnerable neighboours from bearing the brunt arising from the operation.

“The Coalition of Shiroro Associations (COSA) calls on the authorities concerned to swiftly intervene and listen to the cries of the people of Shiroro” Salis M Sabo said.


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending