Connect with us

News

Haiti’s Earthquakes Explained.

Published

on

Share

Almost 1,300 people have been reported killed by a powerful earthquake here that rocked Haiti on Saturday, with thousands more injured, and tens of thousands of buildings destroyed or damaged.

The destruction came little more than a decade after a devastating 2010 earthquake here that destroyed Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince and killed more than 200,000 people.

Here’s a look at why the Caribbean country is affected by earthquakes.

WHAT CAUSES EARTHQUAKES IN HAITI?

Haiti occupies the western part of Hispaniola, a Caribbean island it shares with the Dominican Republic. Hispaniola is sandwiched between two fault systems, the Septentrional fault system to the north, and the Enriquillo-Plantain Garden fault system in the south.

The Enriquillo-Plantain Garden fault system is considered likely responsible for Saturday’s quake, as well as the one in 2010, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Earthquakes happen when two tectonic plates – separate parts of the Earth’s crust – suddenly slip past each other. Though friction holds these two plates together, the sudden release of energy in seismic waves cause the shaking associated with earthquakes.

WHICH QUAKE WAS BIGGER, 2010’s OR SATURDAY’s?

Saturday’s quake measured 7.2 on the Richter scale, which is used to measure earthquake size, according to the USGS.

Though the quake in 2010 measured 7.0, the Richter scale is logarithmic, meaning that Saturday’s earthquake released twice as much energy as the previous one. It was felt in Jamaica, more than 200 miles (320 km) away.

Damage caused on Saturday so far appears less than in 2010, the reasons for which are being studied.

“That’s the million-dollar question right now,” said William Barnhart, a geophysicist in the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program.

While the 2010 earthquake struck in Leogane, just outside of Haiti’s capital, Saturday’s quake hit further from Port-au-Prince, in the Nippes department of southwestern Haiti.

Preliminary work suggests the quake’s further distance from the capital and the mountainous, sparsely inhabited location of the epicenter – where a quake starts on the Earth’s surface – could have had an impact, he added.

WILL THERE BE MORE EARTHQUAKES IN HAITI?

Before the 2010 quake, the Enriquillo-Plantain Garden fault system had not produced a major earthquake in decades, the USGS says.

However, the fault system was probably behind three other major earthquakes, occurring in 1751, 1770, and 1860 respectively, the USGS says, adding that the first two quakes destroyed Port-au-Prince.

Other quakes are likely to happen in the future.

“We know they will happen, but we don’t know when they will happen,” Barnhart said.

DID LESSONS FROM THE 2010 EARTHQUAKE HAVE ANY IMPACT?

While Barnhart says just Japan, Mexico, and U.S. Western states have early-warning systems for earthquakes – which can buy just tens of seconds of advance notice – Claude Prepetit, Haiti’s chief seismologist, said Haitians behaved differently here after Saturday’s quake, compared to in 2010.

Back then, he said, people exposed themselves to more danger by sheltering in buildings while aftershocks continued.

“We have learned our lesson,” Prepetit said, but added more needs to be done. “We must build better, with better building materials, and then educate the population so that they can develop the right reflexes.”

Source:(Reuters)


Share
Advertisement

Africa

NSCDC dismisses viral video on ‘bandit personnel’

Published

on

By

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a viral video purporting that a member of the corps confessed to being a bandit.

The suspected bandit, Mr Abdullah Saidu, in the viral video called himself personnel of the Corps.

This is contained in a statement issued by the NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr Olusola Odumosu, in Abuja.

Newsmen report that Saidu was arrested in connection to a group of armed bandits terrorising some parts of Koton Karfe Local Government Area of Kogi.

The spokesperson said that the NSCDC has set up a team to investigate the available records to confirm the authenticity of Saidu’s claims that he was the corps personnel.

“The general public shall be adequately briefed on subsequent findings.“Based on the aforementioned, the purported video where the alleged suspect openly confessed to the crime did not in any way give credence to or affirm his membership to the Corps.

“Experience has shown that criminals are fond of impersonating security operatives in order to divert attention, subvert investigation or get away with the crime,” he said.

Odumosu further noted that the NSCDC was saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property amongst others.

“The Corps will not in any way condone any saboteur of national security or sponsorship of criminals.”He reiterated the Corps’ zeal to discharge its statutory mandates without compromise but with humility and integrity.

He said the NSCDC will continue to synergise with sister agencies to combat crimes in the country.

Source: (NAN)


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

Federal government to incorporate NNPC board in six months

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday he had appointed a board for the NNPC and directed that it should be incorporated within six months, a move that could allow it to sell shares in the future.

The President signed the petroleum bill into law last month which has been in the works for nearly two decades, aiming to overhaul the sector and turn the state-owned oil company into a private firm.

The new oil law requires NNPC to be incorporated within six months, Buhari said in a statement, appointing Ifeanyi Ararume as NNPC chairman and its current Chief Executive Mele Kyari to lead the firm.

Kyari has said NNPC could consider an initial public offering (IPO) within three years. The incorporation could pave the way for NNPC to sell shares.

Buhari said last month that NNPC made its first profit in 44 years in 2020.

Source:(Global World News)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Niger state becoming safe haven for fleeing Zamfara bandits

Published

on

Share

Shiroro Local Government in Niger State has cried foul over the influx of bandits and terrorists fleeing Zamfara state.

The bandits/terrorists are identified by their masks and motorcycles, and their presence is causing fear and apprehension among the locals, spokesman of the local government, Salis M. Sabo disclosed in a statement.

Sabo said the bandits are believed to have flown from “Zamfara or other adjoining troubled states which the Niger State borders through Shiroro.

“The marauders have started showing their ugly faces in Galadiman Kogo, Zama, Magami, Maganda m, Paleli, Iburo, Chukuba, Dnasapa all in Shiroro Local Government.

“The military operation going on in Zamfara needs to be well coordinated and replicated in other States on Zamfara borders so as to save the vulnerable neighboours from bearing the brunt arising from the operation.

“The Coalition of Shiroro Associations (COSA) calls on the authorities concerned to swiftly intervene and listen to the cries of the people of Shiroro” Salis M Sabo said.


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending