Connect with us

News

Third wave: Nigeria records 404 new COVID-19 cases

Published

on

Share

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 404 new cases of COVID-19 infections on Wednesday.

Available data on the Agency’s website on Wednesday, indicates that new cases were reported from 12 states.

The state are Lagos (356), Rivers (18), FCT (7), Ekiti (5), Kaduna (5), Gombe (3), Kano (3), Edo (2), Ogun (2), Bayelsa (1), Plateau (1), Nasarawa(1).

This bring the total confirmed cases across the nation to 171,728, with 164,837 patients discharged and 2134 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Nigeria, since the detection of the Delta Variant has seen a continued increase in the number of infections recorded, as the latest infections (404) represent the highest number of cases reported on daily basis in the past four months.

The Delta variant, according to the World Health Organisation is a variant of concern, due to its high level of transmissibility.

The variant has been detected in over 100 countries and is expected to spread to more countries.

The variant has also been linked to a surge in cases in countries where it is the dominant strain in circulation.

Nigeria, according to NCDC has so far tested more than 2.4 million samples, with 4,737 active cases as at July 27.

The Agency has however reiterated the need for Nigerians to take steps to protect themselves from the virus.


Share
Advertisement

News

Breaking: Ganduje appoints new Emir of Gaya

Published

on

By

Share

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has in the early hours of Sunday appointed Alhaji Aliyu Ibrahim-Gaya as the new emir of Gaya.

Ibrahim-Gaya succeeded his late father, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdulkadir who died at the age of 91 years after protracted illness.

The Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji announced the appointment on behalf of the Governor.

More to come…


Share
Continue Reading

News

Tanks head for Kosovo-Serb border as Balkans tensions grow

Published

on

By

A Kosovo security unit trooper guards the border with Serbia as the Balkan nations trade accusations.
Share

Kosovo’s Prime Minister Albin Kurti has accused neighbouring Serbia of “provoking a serious international conflict”, with tensions between the two countries at their highest for years.

In the latest flashpoint, two interior ministry offices in northern Kosovo were on Saturday attacked near border crossings blocked by local Serbs angered by a ban on cars with Serbian licence plates entering the country.

The car registration office in the town of Zubin Potok was set ablaze, and two hand grenades were thrown at the civil registration office in the nearby town of Zvecan, though they did not go off, police said.

There was no mention of any casualties.

Serbs from Kosovo’s north have blocked two main roads near the border since the government ban went into force on Monday.

Drivers from Serbia must now use temporary printed registration details that are valid for 60 days.

The Kosovo government says its move mirrors measures in force in Serbia against drivers from Kosovo since 2008, when Kosovo declared independence from their neighbour.

Serb fighter planes flew close to the border crossing of Jarinje where protesters cheered them. A day before, three helicopters also flew in the vicinity.

Media in Belgrade reported that tanks and other military equipment were heading towards the border, but the Serb army did not give any details.

NATO’s mission in Kosovo, where peacekeepers maintain a fragile peace, called for restraint.

Source: (NewDaily)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Anthony Joshua breaks his silence after devastating defeat to Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

By

Joshua was outclassed by Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Share

Anthony Joshua is determined to stay positive after his devastating world title defeat to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday.

Usyk turned in a boxing masterclass to take the IBF, WBO and WBA heavyweight titles, dethroning Joshua in his own back yard at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Joshua immediately left the ring after the Ukrainian’s unanimous decision win and was taken to hospital to be assessed after taking damage to his right eye during the contest.

But he wrote on Twitter: ‘Keep positive even if the world’s crumbling in front of you!

London I love you and thank you each and every time

A rematch clause will give Joshua the chance to reclaim his titles but promoter Eddie Hearn has warned big changes are needed if he is to avenge the loss.

The fighter in AJ is already talking about winning the rematch.

‘It was a tough defeat. I had it reasonably close in the eighth and then Usyk ran away with it. If that happens again, he will get beat again.

‘Usyk’s confidence will be sky high. He has to impose himself but when you get to the level of AJ, there are no 10-round comeback fights or warm ups.

‘You are straight into the fight. He will be an underdog in that rematch.

‘He chose to take on a pound for pound great tonight, and it didn’t work out. He deserves credit for that but this is sport.’

Source: (Metro News)


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending