Connect with us

News

Osun Free Train Service: Over 2000 holiday makers return to Oyo, Ogun, Lagos states after Sallah celebrations

Published

on

Share


as beneficiaries urge FG to fastrack railway standard gauge project to Osun


laud Osun govt on sustainable initiative


The beneficiaries of the regular free train service being provided by the Government of the State of Osun during festive periods, have called on the Federal Government to expedite action and quicken the extension of the ongoing standard gauge railway project to Osun and Kwara states.


This, according to the beneficiaries would go along way to reposition the most popular means of transportation and complement the efforts of the Osun government to restore the lost glory of the rail transportation system in the country.


This is even as the train on Sunday returned over 2000 holiday makers, who had stormed the state to celebrate Sallah with their family and loved ones to their various destinations including Oyo, Ogun and Lagos states respectively.


The beneficiaries also poured encomiums on the Administration of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of Osun for sustaining the initiative inspite of the socioeconomic challenges being experienced by government at various levels.
The beneficiaries spoke on Sunday while fielding questions from journalists shortly before boarding the free train provided by the Osun government to commemorate the 2021 Eid-el-Kabir celebration back to their destinations.


They turned out in large numbers and had earlier assembled at the Osogbo terminal of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Nelson Mandela Freedom Park, Old Garage, to catch up the train which was billed to return them to Lagos and other neighbouring states in the Southwest by 10:00am.
While applauding the railway upgrade initiative of the Federal Government, they opined  that the efforts would be a waste if the FG fails to extend same to Osun, Kwara and other notable states around the Southwest, adding that the initiative would further help to complement the efforts and rare commitment of the Osun government that has been spending millions of Naira to support the railway transportation system through its free train service during festive periods.


Prince Oyetoro Ademola, one of the beneficiaries of the free train service from Osogbo, said despite the fact that the facilities provided by the State afforded him and his family to come home to celebrate the Sallah, the scheme can also be strengthened to enhance better productivity if being supported by the Federal Government through the railway standard gauge project.


Ademola who was returning to Lagos with other six members of his family, further that “if not for this, you can imagine what I would have provided as transport fare to convey them back to our base.


“To me, this is the best social intervention Programme  of Osun government that takes a clear cognisance of the lean purse and other financial plights of the citizens of the State who are living outside Osun particularly in Lagos, Ogun and Oyo States,” he added.
Also, Mr. Adeniyi Adeyinka, a holidaymaker, commended the Osun Government for continuously providing worthwhile leadership to make life meaningful and prosperous for the citizens and residents of the State.


He said Osun has no doubt proved itself as a pacesetter of socioeconomic, infrastructural and human-capital development as seen in the positive impact of its programmes and policies over the years.
“I am here to take the free train to my place of living in Ogun State. We appreciate Governor Oyetola for this gesture. It is a wonderful and magnanimous effort from Government. 
“It is an opportunity to reduce the transport fare for my family. Governor has done this for me and I am glad.


“We want Federal Government to extend the standard gauge to Osun so that it will be of great benefit for all of us particularly we that enjoy the free train service,”Adeyinka said.
In the same vein, Mr. Jimoh Isiaka; Mrs. Bola Oluwole and Mr. Yinka Rafiu, all applauded the initiative and urged Federal Government to do the needful by upgrading the railway facilities to modern ones.


Speaking, the Commissioner for Commerce, Industry, Cooperatives and Empowerment, Dr. Bode Olaonipekun, said the welfarist and humanitarian nature of Governor Oyetola had manifested in the smooth running of the initiative since the inception of the Administration.
“This programme involves other states as you can see, you saw people coming to Osogbo from Offa, Ajase, Ilorin and other places to board the train. This  is a clear testimony to the fact that this initiative has been very supportive of the people.


“So, this is one of the dividends of good governance as exemplified by our Governor. Welfarist and humanitarian approach of this Administration cannot be over-emphasised. 
“On the need for the Federal Government to upgrade the locomotive coaches to the modern ones, obviously the new gauge is under construction, it has gotten to Ibadan, Oyo State and hopefully by the timeline of the construction, it will get to Osun by next year.
“With that, the old gauge can still be refurbished to give better comfort to passengers and we are encouraging the Railway Corporation to ensure that Nigerians get improved train services,” he added.
Meanwhile, over 2000 passengers boarded the train from Osogbo on Sunday, with the expectation to accommodate more at various designated terminal in Ede, Iwo, Ibadan, Abeokuta among others.


Share

Africa

NSCDC dismisses viral video on ‘bandit personnel’

Published

on

By

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a viral video purporting that a member of the corps confessed to being a bandit.

The suspected bandit, Mr Abdullah Saidu, in the viral video called himself personnel of the Corps.

This is contained in a statement issued by the NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr Olusola Odumosu, in Abuja.

Newsmen report that Saidu was arrested in connection to a group of armed bandits terrorising some parts of Koton Karfe Local Government Area of Kogi.

The spokesperson said that the NSCDC has set up a team to investigate the available records to confirm the authenticity of Saidu’s claims that he was the corps personnel.

“The general public shall be adequately briefed on subsequent findings.“Based on the aforementioned, the purported video where the alleged suspect openly confessed to the crime did not in any way give credence to or affirm his membership to the Corps.

“Experience has shown that criminals are fond of impersonating security operatives in order to divert attention, subvert investigation or get away with the crime,” he said.

Odumosu further noted that the NSCDC was saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property amongst others.

“The Corps will not in any way condone any saboteur of national security or sponsorship of criminals.”He reiterated the Corps’ zeal to discharge its statutory mandates without compromise but with humility and integrity.

He said the NSCDC will continue to synergise with sister agencies to combat crimes in the country.

Source: (NAN)


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

Federal government to incorporate NNPC board in six months

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday he had appointed a board for the NNPC and directed that it should be incorporated within six months, a move that could allow it to sell shares in the future.

The President signed the petroleum bill into law last month which has been in the works for nearly two decades, aiming to overhaul the sector and turn the state-owned oil company into a private firm.

The new oil law requires NNPC to be incorporated within six months, Buhari said in a statement, appointing Ifeanyi Ararume as NNPC chairman and its current Chief Executive Mele Kyari to lead the firm.

Kyari has said NNPC could consider an initial public offering (IPO) within three years. The incorporation could pave the way for NNPC to sell shares.

Buhari said last month that NNPC made its first profit in 44 years in 2020.

Source:(Global World News)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Niger state becoming safe haven for fleeing Zamfara bandits

Published

on

Share

Shiroro Local Government in Niger State has cried foul over the influx of bandits and terrorists fleeing Zamfara state.

The bandits/terrorists are identified by their masks and motorcycles, and their presence is causing fear and apprehension among the locals, spokesman of the local government, Salis M. Sabo disclosed in a statement.

Sabo said the bandits are believed to have flown from “Zamfara or other adjoining troubled states which the Niger State borders through Shiroro.

“The marauders have started showing their ugly faces in Galadiman Kogo, Zama, Magami, Maganda m, Paleli, Iburo, Chukuba, Dnasapa all in Shiroro Local Government.

“The military operation going on in Zamfara needs to be well coordinated and replicated in other States on Zamfara borders so as to save the vulnerable neighboours from bearing the brunt arising from the operation.

“The Coalition of Shiroro Associations (COSA) calls on the authorities concerned to swiftly intervene and listen to the cries of the people of Shiroro” Salis M Sabo said.


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending