Connect with us

News

Again, FCTA demolishes over 473 illegal structures in Iddo Sarki

Published

on

Share

says Mpape, Dutse, Ushafa on the way

By Muhammad Tanimu, Abuja

Barely a week when dust from last week’s demolition exercise is yet to settle and tears yet to dry, personnel of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) today made a dramatic return to Iddo Sarki community and levelled 473 illegal structures.

Recall that over the weekend, the FCTA pulled down no fewer than 137 illegal structures, ranging from blocks of hostels, hotels and others.

With renewed energy, an apparently strengthened, well fortified enforcement team, comprising the Nigeria Navy, Nigeria Police Force, DSS, NSCDC, NDLEA, Nigeria Immigration Service and DRTS, working with five bulldozers, levelling 473 illegal buildings in a day was easy.

Responding to questions from journalists on the need for return to Iddo for the ‘mother of all demolitions’, Chairman, FCT Ministerial Committee on City Sanitation, Ikharo Attah, explained that his team had to go back to Iddo to complete the good work it has started in the community.

According to him, demolishing halfway would only encourage reemergence of illegal structures and perpetuation of illegality which would further deteriorate the abuses of the Abuja Master Plan.

Calling on developers and FCT residents to desist from buying parcels of land from traditional Chiefs in the nation’s capital, Attah affirmed that only the FCT Minister (not even FCT Minister of State) was legally empowered to allocate any portion of the FCT’s 8,000 square kilometres of land.

“Why we came back to here was because we did not finish the clean up. We thought we had gone very far, not until we noticed that the Land Use Contraventions have been very high and disturbing.

“So we had to cone back here today (Wednesday) to continue the clean up. Thanks to directors of Development Control and Security who got four to five machines.

“Some of the illegalities of land contravention include buying land from local Chiefs, building without building plan approvals, building substandard structures; the authorities will not allow these to continue because the city is planned and when we see contravention, it is the mandate of the FCTA to take it out.”

Asked whether there was any compensation for them, Attah said: “They have been warned before and when you commit illegality…..we even ought to take them to court but we are leaving them. The Chiefs who gave them the land have denied that they gave them land.”

Attah also sent a strong warning to those residing in illegal structures within Mpape, Dutse Makaranta, Ushafa and other areas to either move out or comply, adding that they were next in line for similar clean up exercises.
He said: “We have to rush this work now because the people of Mpape, Dutse Makaranta and Ushafa -both the residents and landlords are begging the FCT Minister to come and clean up their area, so we will soon be going to assist them.

“We are seeing encroachments even in the Lower Usuma Dam where we get our safe water to drink. We don’t want people to go there and pollute our water.”

Secretary, Command and Control Centre, FCT, Peter Olumuji who also spoke to journalists revealed that another reason for demolishing the structures was because they harboured criminals who constitute insecurity within the area and the whole of FCT.

He said: “one of the reasons why we are here is because such places hibernate criminals because they can get cheaper houses to rent.

“We have had a sustained clean up operation on the airport road and this has led to reduction in the rate of crime and criminality in the FCT.”


Share

Africa

NSCDC dismisses viral video on ‘bandit personnel’

Published

on

By

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a viral video purporting that a member of the corps confessed to being a bandit.

The suspected bandit, Mr Abdullah Saidu, in the viral video called himself personnel of the Corps.

This is contained in a statement issued by the NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr Olusola Odumosu, in Abuja.

Newsmen report that Saidu was arrested in connection to a group of armed bandits terrorising some parts of Koton Karfe Local Government Area of Kogi.

The spokesperson said that the NSCDC has set up a team to investigate the available records to confirm the authenticity of Saidu’s claims that he was the corps personnel.

“The general public shall be adequately briefed on subsequent findings.“Based on the aforementioned, the purported video where the alleged suspect openly confessed to the crime did not in any way give credence to or affirm his membership to the Corps.

“Experience has shown that criminals are fond of impersonating security operatives in order to divert attention, subvert investigation or get away with the crime,” he said.

Odumosu further noted that the NSCDC was saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property amongst others.

“The Corps will not in any way condone any saboteur of national security or sponsorship of criminals.”He reiterated the Corps’ zeal to discharge its statutory mandates without compromise but with humility and integrity.

He said the NSCDC will continue to synergise with sister agencies to combat crimes in the country.

Source: (NAN)


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

Federal government to incorporate NNPC board in six months

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday he had appointed a board for the NNPC and directed that it should be incorporated within six months, a move that could allow it to sell shares in the future.

The President signed the petroleum bill into law last month which has been in the works for nearly two decades, aiming to overhaul the sector and turn the state-owned oil company into a private firm.

The new oil law requires NNPC to be incorporated within six months, Buhari said in a statement, appointing Ifeanyi Ararume as NNPC chairman and its current Chief Executive Mele Kyari to lead the firm.

Kyari has said NNPC could consider an initial public offering (IPO) within three years. The incorporation could pave the way for NNPC to sell shares.

Buhari said last month that NNPC made its first profit in 44 years in 2020.

Source:(Global World News)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Niger state becoming safe haven for fleeing Zamfara bandits

Published

on

Share

Shiroro Local Government in Niger State has cried foul over the influx of bandits and terrorists fleeing Zamfara state.

The bandits/terrorists are identified by their masks and motorcycles, and their presence is causing fear and apprehension among the locals, spokesman of the local government, Salis M. Sabo disclosed in a statement.

Sabo said the bandits are believed to have flown from “Zamfara or other adjoining troubled states which the Niger State borders through Shiroro.

“The marauders have started showing their ugly faces in Galadiman Kogo, Zama, Magami, Maganda m, Paleli, Iburo, Chukuba, Dnasapa all in Shiroro Local Government.

“The military operation going on in Zamfara needs to be well coordinated and replicated in other States on Zamfara borders so as to save the vulnerable neighboours from bearing the brunt arising from the operation.

“The Coalition of Shiroro Associations (COSA) calls on the authorities concerned to swiftly intervene and listen to the cries of the people of Shiroro” Salis M Sabo said.


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending