Connect with us

News

Court remands repatriated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu, fixes July 26 for trial

Published

on

Share

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, ordered that the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, be remanded in a Department of State Service (DSS) facility, pending the determination of his trial. Justice Binta Nyako gave the order after counsel to the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Shuaibu Labaran, told the court that the defendant (Kanu), who jumped bail, had been arrested and produced in court. 

Labaran urged the court for an order detaining the arrested IPOB leader at the DSS facility pending the hearing and determination of the matter.Justice Nyako, who granted the plea, adjourned the matter until July 26 for trial continuation.

However, no sooner had the judge ruled than Kanu indicated his interest to talk.

He told the court that he decided to go underground because his house was raided but he was able to escape.

Kanu said if he had not escaped, he might have been killed like other members of the group.

The judge, who advised him not to feel discomfiture to stand his trial, urged him to get across to his lawyer for the trial.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Kanu was arrested  on Oct. 14, 2015 on 11 count charge bordering on terrorism, treasonable felony, managing an unlawful society, publication of defamatory  matter, illegal possession of firearms and improper importation of goods, among others.

A judge at the Federal High Court, Abuja revoked Kanu’s bail that was granted him on health ground and issued a bench warrant for his arrest on the same date, over his failure to appear in court for hearing.

He has, upon jumping bail, been accused of  engaging in subversive activities that include inciting violence through television, radio and online broadcasts against Nigeria and Nigerian State and institutions.

Kanu was also accused of instigating violence especially in the Southeastern Nigeria that resulted in the loss of lives and property of civilians, military, para military, police forces and destruction of civil institutions and symbols of authorities.(NAN)


Share

News

In Lagos, cleric ‘kills 7-year-old boy, buries head at church altar’

Published

on

By

Share

A Lagos-based pastor, Erinmole Adetokunbo, has been re-arraigned before the Lagos State Special Offences Court for allegedly beheading a seven-year-old boy in the Ikorodu area of the state.

Oyekanmi and Adetokunbo allegedly lured the boy from his parents’ house on Sotunyo Street to the church’s premises on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odokekere, Ikorodu.

According to report, the police arrested the pastor for allegedly beheading a seven-year old boy and burying his head at the church’s altar.

The command’s spokesman, confirmed the arrest to reporters, saying the suspect was arrested with an accomplice.According to him, the policemen arrested one Eric, whose confession led to the arrest of the pastor and the recovery of the boy’s body.

“On investigation, one of the suspects, Eric confessed to the crime. He led a team of policemen to Odokekere/ Odogunyan in Ikorodu area to apprehend Oyekan, who later led the team to where the seven-year-old boy was beheaded and his head buried,” he said.

Adetokunbo was arraigned alongside one Adedoyin Oyekanmi on three counts bordering on conspiracy and murder.

The Magistrate, O. A. Fowowe-Erusiafe, had ordered that the two defendants be remanded in custody pending the release of legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.

However, after four years of being remanded in a custodial centre, the case was transferred to the special offences court, where they were arraigned afresh before Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo.

They pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The charges read in part, “That you, Adedoyin Oyekanmi and Erinmole Adetokunbo, on June 7, 2017, around 2pm on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odokekere, Ikorodu, Lagos, in the Ikeja jurisdiction, did conspire among yourselves to commit felony, to wit: murder, thereby committing an offence.

“That you, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned jurisdiction, did kill one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven, by cutting off his head with a cutlass, thereby committing an offence.

“That you, without lawful justification or excuse, dismembered the remains of one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven.”

Following the pleas of the duo, Justice Taiwo adjourned the matter till November 6, 2021, for the commencement of trial.


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

NSCDC dismisses viral video on ‘bandit personnel’

Published

on

By

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a viral video purporting that a member of the corps confessed to being a bandit.

The suspected bandit, Mr Abdullah Saidu, in the viral video called himself personnel of the Corps.

This is contained in a statement issued by the NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr Olusola Odumosu, in Abuja.

Newsmen report that Saidu was arrested in connection to a group of armed bandits terrorising some parts of Koton Karfe Local Government Area of Kogi.

The spokesperson said that the NSCDC has set up a team to investigate the available records to confirm the authenticity of Saidu’s claims that he was the corps personnel.

“The general public shall be adequately briefed on subsequent findings.“Based on the aforementioned, the purported video where the alleged suspect openly confessed to the crime did not in any way give credence to or affirm his membership to the Corps.

“Experience has shown that criminals are fond of impersonating security operatives in order to divert attention, subvert investigation or get away with the crime,” he said.

Odumosu further noted that the NSCDC was saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property amongst others.

“The Corps will not in any way condone any saboteur of national security or sponsorship of criminals.”He reiterated the Corps’ zeal to discharge its statutory mandates without compromise but with humility and integrity.

He said the NSCDC will continue to synergise with sister agencies to combat crimes in the country.

Source: (NAN)


Share
Continue Reading

Africa

Federal government to incorporate NNPC board in six months

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday he had appointed a board for the NNPC and directed that it should be incorporated within six months, a move that could allow it to sell shares in the future.

The President signed the petroleum bill into law last month which has been in the works for nearly two decades, aiming to overhaul the sector and turn the state-owned oil company into a private firm.

The new oil law requires NNPC to be incorporated within six months, Buhari said in a statement, appointing Ifeanyi Ararume as NNPC chairman and its current Chief Executive Mele Kyari to lead the firm.

Kyari has said NNPC could consider an initial public offering (IPO) within three years. The incorporation could pave the way for NNPC to sell shares.

Buhari said last month that NNPC made its first profit in 44 years in 2020.

Source:(Global World News)


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending