Connect with us

News

Breaking: Zidane resigns as Real Madrid Coach

Published

on

Share

Zinedine Zidane has resigned as Real Madrid manager with immediate effect, according to media reports, just days after the club were beaten to the La Liga title by Atletico Madrid.

The Frenchman’s reported departure comes at the end of a disappointing campaign for the 13-time European champions, who also lost to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals as they failed to win a trophy for the first time in 11 seasons.

Italian football journalist Fabrizio Romano broke what he called  “exclusive” news in a tweet which was picked up by Spanish sports outlets including Madrid sports dailies Marca and AS, and the radio station Cadena Ser.

An official announcement of his departure, said Romano, would be made “in the next hours/days”.

Only 10 days ago Zidane, who has a contract until 2022, denied media speculation that he had already told his players that he would be leaving at the end of the season.

“How am I going to tell my players that I am going now? It’s a lie,” he said after a 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao.

“I focus on this season. There is a game left and we are going to give everything. I only care what happens in this finale.”

But, perhaps tellingly, he added: “The rest, we will see at the end of the season.”

If confirmed, it marks the end of Zidane’s second spell in charge of the Spanish giants.

The 1998 World Cup winner first took the helm in January 2016 and guided Real to the 2017 La Liga title and an unprecedented hat-trick of Champions League titles before abruptly quitting on May 31, 2018.

He returned in 2019, winning a second La Liga crown in 2020 and the Spanish Super Cup.

(AFP)


Share

News

Breaking: Ganduje appoints new Emir of Gaya

Published

on

By

Share

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has in the early hours of Sunday appointed Alhaji Aliyu Ibrahim-Gaya as the new emir of Gaya.

Ibrahim-Gaya succeeded his late father, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdulkadir who died at the age of 91 years after protracted illness.

The Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji announced the appointment on behalf of the Governor.

More to come…


Share
Continue Reading

News

Tanks head for Kosovo-Serb border as Balkans tensions grow

Published

on

By

A Kosovo security unit trooper guards the border with Serbia as the Balkan nations trade accusations.
Share

Kosovo’s Prime Minister Albin Kurti has accused neighbouring Serbia of “provoking a serious international conflict”, with tensions between the two countries at their highest for years.

In the latest flashpoint, two interior ministry offices in northern Kosovo were on Saturday attacked near border crossings blocked by local Serbs angered by a ban on cars with Serbian licence plates entering the country.

The car registration office in the town of Zubin Potok was set ablaze, and two hand grenades were thrown at the civil registration office in the nearby town of Zvecan, though they did not go off, police said.

There was no mention of any casualties.

Serbs from Kosovo’s north have blocked two main roads near the border since the government ban went into force on Monday.

Drivers from Serbia must now use temporary printed registration details that are valid for 60 days.

The Kosovo government says its move mirrors measures in force in Serbia against drivers from Kosovo since 2008, when Kosovo declared independence from their neighbour.

Serb fighter planes flew close to the border crossing of Jarinje where protesters cheered them. A day before, three helicopters also flew in the vicinity.

Media in Belgrade reported that tanks and other military equipment were heading towards the border, but the Serb army did not give any details.

NATO’s mission in Kosovo, where peacekeepers maintain a fragile peace, called for restraint.

Source: (NewDaily)


Share
Continue Reading

News

Anthony Joshua breaks his silence after devastating defeat to Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

By

Joshua was outclassed by Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Share

Anthony Joshua is determined to stay positive after his devastating world title defeat to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday.

Usyk turned in a boxing masterclass to take the IBF, WBO and WBA heavyweight titles, dethroning Joshua in his own back yard at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Joshua immediately left the ring after the Ukrainian’s unanimous decision win and was taken to hospital to be assessed after taking damage to his right eye during the contest.

But he wrote on Twitter: ‘Keep positive even if the world’s crumbling in front of you!

London I love you and thank you each and every time

A rematch clause will give Joshua the chance to reclaim his titles but promoter Eddie Hearn has warned big changes are needed if he is to avenge the loss.

The fighter in AJ is already talking about winning the rematch.

‘It was a tough defeat. I had it reasonably close in the eighth and then Usyk ran away with it. If that happens again, he will get beat again.

‘Usyk’s confidence will be sky high. He has to impose himself but when you get to the level of AJ, there are no 10-round comeback fights or warm ups.

‘You are straight into the fight. He will be an underdog in that rematch.

‘He chose to take on a pound for pound great tonight, and it didn’t work out. He deserves credit for that but this is sport.’

Source: (Metro News)


Share
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Trending